If a resident holding a regular permit to practise (specialist or family medicine certification) wishes to perform moonlighting, he will have to obtain distinct malpractice insurance through the Canadian Medical Protective Association (CMPA). In fact, when a certified resident practises outside the training sites recorded on his training card, he is not covered by the collective agreement. Furthermore, if you do not hold a regular permit and perform medical acts outside your residency, you are doing so illegally, since you are not subject to the collective agreement and therefore do not have malpractice insurance coverage. Note that you cannot obtain insurance coverage via the CMPA in such cases.