Malpractice insurance for rotations outside Quebec
Also, all medical residents wishing to perform rotations outside Quebec must obtain approval from their program director and the Collège des médecins du Québec, so their rotation is integrated with their training and they are themselves covered by the malpractice insurance provided under the collective agreement.
The Federation suggests that residents performing a rotation in an establishment whose location is covered by the insurer’s list of countries send the following documents and information to the Health and Social Services System Insurance Branch (Direction des assurances du Réseau de la santé et des services sociaux, or DARSSS) to obtain proof of coverage:
- their name;
- name of the paying establishment in Quebec;
- name and address of the establishment outside Quebec;
- duration of rotation (start and end dates);
- a copy of their training card;
- a copy of the application form for a rotation in an unaccredited setting in Quebec or outside Quebec, duly approved by the Collège des médecins du Québec.
Everything can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. If, however, you need further information, you can also get in touch with the DARSSS by calling 514 282-4254.
For medical residents in training in New Brunswick
Medical residents in training in New Brunswick are subject to special rules in this regard. In all cases, we invite you to get in touch with Mrs Marie-Anik Laplante, Co-ordinator, Union Affairs, at 514 282-0256 or 1 800 465-0215 before taking these steps.