- The new detailed prescription drug invoice from your pharmacy
September 25 2017
The new detailed prescription drug invoice from your pharmacy
Since September 15, 2017, your pharmacy’s prescription drug invoice will be more transparent. It will show the following :
- The pharmacist’s fee
- The price of the molecule (medication)
- The wholesaler’s (distributor’s) profit margin
Only one of these items will vary from one pharmacy to another : the pharmacists’ fee.
This new information significantly impacts the cost of group insurance. In fact, Quebec’s employees, employers, members and organizations that have group insurance plans pay close to half a billion dollars (based on 2013 data) more each year than those covered under the public drug insurance plan, as a result of higher pharmacists’ fees.
With a view to ensuring that employers and organizations can continue to offer plans to their employees or members, here a some actions you can take to help reduce costs :
- Greater use of generic drugs
- Prescription refills that cover longer periods
- Compare costs between pharmacists.
For more information on the detailed invoice, visit : www.mypharmacyinvoice.ca.