Competence By Design
Four years after implementation of CBD began, the verdict is clear: botched pedagogical reform
That is the sad conclusion we have reached. Since July 2017, the FMRQ has been monitoring very closely the implementation of Competence by Design (CBD), a new approach to medical education. Sadly, despite the numerous recommendations we have made, the situation has worsened. It is high time those responsible for the quality of medical education and healthcare in Quebec paid attention to the training of the upcoming generation of doctors.
Take a look at the report on Year 4 of implementation of CBD:
Take a look at the first three reports, too:
In 2017-2018, the FMRQ conducted semi-structured interviews on the first two cohorts of R1s in Anesthesiology and Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery registered in CBD programs.
In 2018-2019, monitoring of the deployment of CBD continued in the form of a survey on resident doctors in those two programs and six additional programs: Critical Care Medicine, Forensic Pathology, Medical Oncology, Nephrology, Surgical Foundations, and Urology.
Report on the survey conducted on the 2019-2020 cohort registered for their first year under CBD in Quebec and summary of discussion groups with resident doctors in their third year of CBD (2017-2018 cohort).
We should like to thank the resident doctors who took part in the surveys and discussion groups, as well as the members of the FMRQ’s Academic Affairs Committee – Specialties, who worked on drawing up these reports.
- Nouveau coup de semonce sur la formation des médecins (New wake-up call concerning physician training), Le Devoir, September 13, 2022 (in French only)
- Analyse critique d’un changement de paradigme pédagogique dans le cadre de la résidence en médecine au Québec, Éditions de l'apprentissage (Critical analysis of a pedagogical paradigm shift in medical residency in Quebec), September 2022 (in French only)
- Brief tabled by the FMRQ – Parliamentary Committee, Bill 11 (in French only)
- Les cobayes (Guinea pig), Le Devoir, September 16, 2022 (in French only)
- A debate Is Needed in Quebec on the Roles and Responsibilities of Medical Education Stakeholders, FMRQ, September 15, 2022